SEARCH OUR LIVE DIRECTORY FOR JOBS
Lead Theatre Practitioner
- To provide professional and clinical leadership and management for a mixed team of theatre practitioners made up of a team of employees and flexible bank staff.
- To be involved with coordinating the operational management of theatres on a day to day basis.
- To manage the theatre environment ensuring all consumables and staffing requirements are fulfilled.
- To advise clinical and management staff on fostering an excellent environment for patients with an emphasis on patient safety
- To support the service Clinical Director by providing clinical oversight and guidance
- To aid management in the processes needed to foster good practice in clinical governance such as audit and continuous professional development
- To act as a specialist resource for patients and the team by the provision of comprehensive advice, information, teaching and training.
- To participate in local operational and team meetings
- Help to control cross infection by observing policy regarding dress, the maintenance of a clean working environment, decontamination and sterilisation procedures and asepsis.
- Ensure a monthly 100% stock-take is undertaken and recorded against batch and quantity numbers including the checking of expiry dates
- Responsibility for the ordering and stock rotation of consumables used within the theatre
- Identify clinical risks and ensure that appropriate action is taken, in accordance with our clients Risk Management policy, providing expert advice and focusing on principles of a learning organisation.
- Maintain the safe custody, handling of drugs in accordance with policy
- Contribute or lead to the investigation of complaints, accident reports and untoward incidents in line with our clients policies and procedures and implement recommendations for action.
- Collect, collate, evaluate and report information, maintaining accurate patient records in line with NMC standards, clinical governance and risk-management.
- Disseminate and ensure implementation of all medical alerts throughout the theatre and management teams
- Ensure that all check lists prior to start of theatre are completed including a nominated ILS lead.
- To compile practical protocols and guidelines for theatre practitioners working in our clients services, ensuring compliant with up-to-date professional guidance and local resources.
- Have a good understanding of CQC statutory requirements.
Staff Leadership and Recruitment
- To support the recruitment, induction and training of new theatre practitioners’ staff, participating in recruitment and selection
- Document competencies and develop ‘best’ practice guidelines for the service
- To aid management in effective deployment of staff to different types of surgical procedures (day case & treatment room)
- To provide advice on staff support and staff reviews or appraisals for the theatre practitioners with respect to their work, delivering reviews where possible
- To ensure clinical staff receive an effective orientation and induction and receive
- supervision as required.
- To signpost employed and bank staff to useful training opportunities and provide advice on providing CPD
- To provide advice on all types of queries from all staff
- To support registered nurses with revalidation requirements as required
- Receive clinical supervision as part of own professional development.
- Maintain up to date skills and knowledge and maintain awareness of professional issues.
- Maintain a professional portfolio.
- Take responsibility for personal revalidation processes in line with NMC requirements
- To lead and participate in departmental audits.
- To participate in and advise on governance processes within the service
- Evaluate service delivery; identify areas for improvement and initiate change.
- Participate in a regular service review with the Service Manager and Operations Director, and produce an annual report for the service circulating it widely and appropriately.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATION
Hold a current nursing degree/diploma and work to the requirements of the Codes of Practice and Professional Standards as befits their professional registration
Hold current RCN registration
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
- Previous experience as a Theatre Manager or Lead of an NHS Department, ideally in Ophthalmic Theatres
- Significant hospital eye service experience expected
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office products and using computerised systems for data input/output and review
SKILLS & PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
Calm in pressurised environments
Ability to work with a range of individuals across a variety of functions
Organised with a high attention to detail
Team player who is willing and happy to support the effective running of a service
To apply for this lead Theatre Practitioner job or enquire about additional Theatre Job opportunities - Contact Flame Health Freephone on 0800 085 0858 or if calling from a mobile on 01158 114488 alternatively email [email protected]
Flame Health & Associates LLP operates as an Employment Agency & Employment Business
Applying for this job.
If you are a member, please login to Apply.LOGIN REGISTER APPLY